Some important information and upcoming events for Col. John Wheeler Middle School:
Medication Pick up
Please make arrangements to pick up your child’s medication by the end of the school year. The medication can only be kept for one school year at a time. Because of safety concerns, no medication will be sent home with a student. Medication will need to be picked up by a parent by 3 PM on June 5th. If you need to make other arrangements or have any questions, please contact our school nurse, Kristin Gorski.
Crown Point Schools Sign-up for Summer Enrichment Academy
From June 17-28, Summer Enrichment Academy courses are available for current Kindergarten through 7th grade student.
The courses are taught by Crown Point teachers.
The Enrichment Academy will be located at Solon Robinson Elementary School and Colonel John Wheeler Middle School.
10 day and 5 day courses are offered.
You can register for one 10-day course, two 5-day courses, or one 5-day course.
You cannot register for the same 5-day course twice.
Crown Point buses will transport students from Jerry Ross and MacArthur Elementary Schools to the Enrichment Academy.
Click on this link to view the Summer Enrichment Academy Offerings and Descriptions.
To register your child for a course, click the yellow link on the course offering page. You can also go directly to our website and look for the Crown Point Enrichment Programs link under Headlines. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Registration has been extended to May 28th for the Summer Enrichment Academy.
7th Grade Football Game
The Col. Wheeler 7th grade football team will play our annual Spring game vs Taft Middle School on Friday, May 24th at 6:00 PM on the Crown Point High School football field.
Our Honor’s Night is Wednesday May 29th starting promptly at 6:00pm in our main gym. Invitations will be mailed for those students receiving awards. Both the front and back entrances will be open for your convenience.
Please remember that we are not in school next Monday, May 27th in observance of Memorial Day.
Last Day of School
We’ll finish-up the school year on Wednesday, June 5th. The last day of school is a full day for students.
2019-2020 Student Calendar
The start date for the 2019-2020 student calendar has been revised.
- The first student day will be Tuesday, August 20.
- The 1st semester will end on Friday, January 10.
- The last student day of the school year is scheduled for Friday, May 29.
New Chromebooks 2019-2020
In August, 2019 new Chromebooks will be distributed to all Kindergarten through grade 9 students.
Beginning in the 2019-2020 school-year only school-owned Chromebooks will be used during the school day.
BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) cannot be used during the school day.
For 2nd through 9th grade students the annual fee for the non-touchscreen Chromebook will be approximately $55.00.
For Kindergarten and 1st grade students the annual fee for the touchscreen Chromebook will be approximately $68.00.
The rationale for Chromebooks only and no BYOD during the school day is to
- provide a safe digital environment where filtering protects students from internet access to content and visual displays that are obscene, pornographic or are harmful to minors;
- use GoGuardian so teachers can monitor student activity, as well as limit students to specific instructional websites for the day of learning;
- deliver the same user experience for learners allowing teachers to focus on the teaching and assessing for learning in the classroom;
- maintain and manage all devices including instructional apps and extensions to enhance the educational experience for students; and
- troubleshoot and repair Chromebooks and issues related to the learning management system (Buzz).
If you have questions, please email Jim Hardman, Director of Curriculum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Website – Please visit our school website as well as our corporation website for further information.
Have a great evening!
Mark Gianfermi, Principal