Colonel John Wheeler Middle School
PRINCIPAL’S WEEKLY PHONE CALL
November 25, 2020
We are so thankful for the resiliency our students have shown over the past 9 months. Their grit and ability to adjust to our circumstances is a testament to the support they have at home working in cooperation with our school. Thank you. We appreciate you! Please enjoy this brief video featuring some of our staff sharing what they are thankful for. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xeTxs1499sb8xYeN-FXmFuhW4hG7p1F2/view?usp=drivesdk
Updated Back to School Plan
After Thanksgiving break, all Crown Point schools will continue distance learning in red status through December 18th, the start of the winter holiday break. We will also continue distance learning January 4-6th after the break. On January 7th, we plan to return to in-person instruction. The school day will start and stop at its normal time. The rationale for this return model remains consistent with the reasons we outlined earlier this month. Middle school students will return to school in yellow (hybrid) status. We will continue distance learning on Wednesdays at home.
Colonel Wheeler students will follow their block schedule for interactions scheduled by the teacher. All students should plan to interact with teachers during the designated time slots using the platform that has been identified by that teacher for that specific class. Block 8 Schedule
Colonel Wheeler Review - Fall Issue
We have put together the Fall issue of the Colonel Wheeler Review. This has a lot of information regarding our extracurricular student activities, Media Center resources, clinic information, Guidance Dept. news, and teacher/coach contact information to assist during Distance Learning. We hope you find this newsletter helpful and enjoy reading about some of our student activities/accolades. Please select the following link to access our newsletter which has also been posted to our website. https://www.cps.k12.in.us/site/Default.aspx?PageID=2059
Child Care during ‘Red’ Status
Red Status Latch Key Child Care Applications
Fee-based child care opportunities are available for children in grades K-5 while the corporation is in “red” status.
Applications can be found in the links listed below.
Food service distribution will continue using the same method as the last two weeks. Meal pick up is 9-10am on Mondays (Nov. 30, Dec. 7 and 14) and includes 5 meals. If you have not been on the list for the last few weeks and would like to be added, please email email@example.com. Meal pick up locations include Crown Point High School, Jerry Ross Elementary, Timothy Ball Elementary, and MacArthur Elementary.
Distance Learning Tips
Distance learners should check their school email and BUZZ accounts every day.
- Teachers post their daily BUZZ agendas and to-do lists for students to follow.
- We encourage every student to participate in Wednesday office hours during teachers’ designated time.
- Follow the RED/WHITE day schedule of which classes meet on which days
- Follow the scheduled class times whenever possible
- Open Buzz Agendas each day, for the classes meeting that day. Read all directions / watch all videos / attend to all instructions.
- Organization Tip: Keep a planner / calendar / notebook / personal list of homework assignments, upcoming tests, important announcements, etc.
Attend all scheduled live interactions whenever possible
- Be sure to watch the recordings of the sessions (if posted by your teacher)
- Whenever feasible, please have your face visible on-screen so your teacher knows you are present and attentive
- Communicate with your teacher(s) if you need to miss a class session, if you have questions about an assignment, or questions about a grade.
- Open class gradebooks periodically. Be on the lookout for:
- Missing assignments (zeros)
- Retry opportunities (round arrows)
- Teacher comments/feedback (chat bubble icon)
- Attend to your coursework each day. If you fall behind for any reason, communicate with your teacher(s) right away.
Giving Tree 2020
This year, CASS and Student Council are partnering together for the giving tree. We are encouraging families to donate hats, gloves, mittens, scarves, etc. Donations will be distributed to the Boys and Girls Club and In-Pact, Inc. Please drop off donations at the main entrance of CJWMS during office hours. We will be collecting through December 16th. Thank you for your generosity!
8th Grade Girls’ Basketball Tryout information is now available on the basketball webpage for Colonel Wheeler. To access the page, please click here.
- Players must fill out the google form by Friday 12/4 to receive the information to try out. Google Form Link
- Players must have an updated physical from after 4/1/2020 on file with the nurse.
- Parents and players must create a Final Forms Account.
- All players must bring their own water.
- If the player uses an inhaler, please bring it to tryouts.
If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Whitehouse via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 219-663-2173 x. 13243
7th Grade Girls’ Basketball - Any 7th grade girl interested in playing basketball this season, please click on the following link for important dates and details. Please email Coach Balind email@example.com if you would like to participate this season or if you have further questions.
Spectator attendance at CPCSC winter indoor K-12 extracurricular and co-curricular activities, including IHSAA sports, will now be limited to participants, support personnel, and 2 parents/guardians per participating student.
All non-competing and non-performing participants, support personnel and attendees are required to wear face coverings at all times. Refusing to wear a mask will result in being asked to leave the facility.
Concessions will not be available at events. Spectators are expected to practice social distancing while watching the event, avoid congregating in lobby areas, and leave the facility immediately at the conclusion of the game or event.
December 19 - January 3rd - Christmas Holiday Break (No School)
- January 4-6 - Distance Learning for all students
- January 7 - Return to school - Yellow Status (Hybrid) with Distance Learning at home on Wednesdays.
As always, let’s make it a great day to be a Bulldog!
Jacob Rodriguez, Principal
Col. John Wheeler Middle School