The Department for Exceptional Learners is committed to supporting students with disabilities. We ensure that eligible students are provided a free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
Our office is located at the CPCSC Learning Center.
130 Harrington Avenue, Crown Point, IN
What is Child Find?
Child Find is a program to identify, locate and evaluate all children who are suspected of having a disability. Any individual (parent, teacher, principal) that suspects a child may have a disability and could benefit from special education servicdes should initiate a referral by contacting the building principal. You may also contact the Department for Exceptional Learners directly at 219-663-4330.
The Crown Point Community School Corporation:
- establishes, maintains, and implements written procedures that ensure the location, identification, and evaluation of all students three (3) years of age, through twenty-two (22) years of age, and who are in need of special education and related services, regardless of the severity of their disabilities, including students who:
- who reside within the boundaries of the Crown Point Community School Corporation;
- attend a non public school, are served by an agency, or live in an institution located within the jurisdiction of the public agency:
- are homeless as defined at 511 IAC 7-32-46;
- are wards of the state;
- are highly mobile students, including migrant students;
Furthermore, the CPCSC Department of Exceptional Learners, in meeting its child find responsibilities:
- accepts referrals from all agencies;
- accepts referrals from parents;
- informs local physicians about CPCSC’s responsibility to serve preschool children;
- informs all major child care providers about the referral process;
- accepts referrals from private schools; and
- provides referral information to local elementary schools.