Board Recap - February 2023
2. Board of School Trustees Resolution of Commendation Awards
- CPHS Dance Team for being named National Champion in Small Varsity Kick at the 2023 UDA National Dance Team Competition - Team: Anna Gardiner, Marianne Gerona, Alaina Longoria-Zellers, Kalliopi Sakaleros, Reese Rettig, Avery Teibel, Grace Tiernan, Aviana Hall, Kylie Iloski, Elise Clark, Kendall Fedak, Bailey Finnerty, Madelyn Rodrigue, Grace Zamora; Coaches: Chloe Hoffman, Chelsea Doss
- CPHS Wrestling Team for being named State Champions at the 2023 IHSAA Wrestling State Finals - Team: Logan Haney, Gavin Jendreas, Sontonio Sessa, Logan Frazier, Griffin Van Tichelt, Anthony Bahl, Sammy Goin, Cody Goodwin, Orlando Cruz, Will Clark, Paul Clark; Coaches: Branden Lorek, Bill Hawkins, Vince Sessa, Darden Schurg, Brennan Cosgrove
- 2023 CPCSC Summer School Programming
- CPHS credit courses offered in English, math, social studies, PE and Health. Credit recovery is available. K-7 learning to support student re-entry, transition, advocacy, learning gaps, interest. Special Education will have an Extended-School-Year.
- Taft Middle School and Crown Point High School Furniture Award
- Part of our ongoing capital improvements. Ordering furniture now ensures it is available in time for the start of the school year at the new Taft building and in some areas of CPHS.
- Approval of New Elementary and Middle School Boundaries
- Administrators reviewed the proposed boundary lines as well as transition plans for students who would be changing schools. More information is available at www.cps.k12.in.us.redistrict23
6. Information/Recognition Items
- Director of Elementary Education – Eisenhower Eagle Bots won Excellence Award for Robotics program. Timothy Ball staff moved 17 classrooms over the Presidents Day weekend to prepare for students. The kick-off event at Timothy Ball for their One Book, One School was a great experience.
- Director of Secondary Education – Congratulations to our National Merit Finalists. Congrats to Tyler Hyudak for his win at the state chess competition! Thank you to the Crown Point Community Foundation for their donation that helps students pay for their AP tests.
- Director of Exceptional Education – recognition of our school social workers ahead of National School Social Worker week.
- Chief Academic Officer – congratulations to Sheri Tokoly, Shari Hodorowicz, and Anita Griffith who will all retire at the end of this school year. They will be missed and will be hard to replace.
- Chief Financial Officer – Explanation of TIF districts and how that money is used for schools
- Director of Communications – District residents can expect to receive their next issue of “We Are CP”, our print newsletter, in the mail next week.
- Superintendent of Schools – Thank you to the many individuals working at the construction sites across the district. Dr. Terrill gave an update on the Taft building construction.
7. Other Business of the Board of School Trustees
- Mr. Vassar provided an update as the legislative liaison.
8. Board Statements of Appreciation and Recognition
- Ms. Bazin – Invited the community to attend the boys sectional basketball game tomorrow night
- Mr. Babjak – Thank you to the team who put in the work for redistricting. The job of the administration and board is to make sure decisions are made for students.
- Mr. Smith – Reminded everyone that all of our schools are great and having to redistrict is a good problem to have. The Exceptional Learners basketball game last week was an awesome experience.
- Mr. Angel – Thank you to Skillman Corporation for their continued work at our construction sites. It is amazing to see how fast the work is progressing.