Board Meeting Recap May 2023
You can find more information about the school board and each month's agenda on the Board page of our website.
- 2022-2023 Crown Point High School Academic Super Bowl Team for being named state champions in the Science, Fine Arts, and Interdisciplinary categories in Class 1 at the Indiana State Academic Super Bowl Competition - Science Team: Lucas Johnson, Avery Goldthorpe, Max Poole; Fine Arts Team: Avery Goldthorpe, Sarah Leitzel, Gavin Pulley; Interdisciplinary Team: Lucas Johnson, Avery Goldthorpe, Sarah Leitzel, Adam Fucela, Sonny Pape; Coaches: Jason McGee, John Lambersie
- 2023-2024 Teacher of the Year, Employee of the Year, and Administrator of the Year Award Presentations - Allison Florek, Crown Point High School, Teacher of the Year - secondary level; Andrea Choate, Solon Robinson, Teacher of the Year - elementary level; Michele Kral, SSC Employee of the Year; Teacher of the Year Finalists: Stephanie Olson, Col. Wheeler; Devin Lewis, Taft; Patty Begley, Eisenhower; Tiffany Markham, Lake St.; Alicia Bellamy, MacArthur; Jamie Pauley, Timothy Ball; Alex Drakulich, Winfield; Brandy Sims, Jerry Ross; Employee of the Year Finalists: Jeannie Watson, Learning Center; Karen Harmicar, Crown Point High School; Al Roach, Jerry Ross; and Administrator of the Year
Patrons' Comments - none
- 4/24/23 Regular Business Meeting/Public Hearing Minutes; 5/9/2023 Executive Session Minutes
- Personnel Agenda
- Voucher Register Checks #168422 - 168739, Checks #104148 - 104165, Checks #900954 - 900954, and Journal Entries #1428 - 1434
- Apply for and Receive Funding from the Challenger Center Grant - The Challenger Learning Center of Northwest Indiana works with local businesses to find funding that teachers can use for Challenger programs. These funds help defray the cost of the Challenger program.
- Course addition at Col. Wheeler and Taft Middle Schools - 6th grade Civics at Col. Wheeler Middle School and Taft Middle School for the 2023-2024 school year. The course has been added in compliance with the State of Indiana’s new requirement approved in June 2022. Through this Civics course, sixth grade students will explain major principles, values, and institutions of constitutional government and citizenship, which are based on the founding documents of the United States and how the three branches of government share and check power within our federal system of government.
- Purchases – Datacenter, Server/SAN Infrastructure, and Dell ABS Backup Solution – each of these purchases improve our technology infrastructure and replace outdated equipment.
- Purchases - Interactive Panels and Lightspeed amplification sound system – both of these items equip new classrooms with the same technology installed last year in all of our other classrooms throughout the district. This is the ‘second wave’ of the planned purchases for these items.
- Superintendent's Discussion Groups – no updates this evening.
- Director of Elementary Education – Thank to our community and families for the support they gave during Educator Appreciation Week. Congratulations to the MacArthur Robotics team for their attendance at the World’s competition, and the Lake Street Math Bowl team who excelled at their regional competition.
- Director of Secondary Education – Congrats to the CPHS music department for receiving the Total Department award at the ISMAA competition. They were one of 19 schools throughout the entire state who received this award. The Military Appreciation ceremony, internship luncheon, transition fair, scholarship evening with over 714,000 in scholarships awarded, the middle school choral concert at Bulldog Park, and our graduation walks within the elementary schools all took place this month.
- Director of Exceptional Education – Unified Game Day was a success. Many individuals helped coordinate this event to make it happen, and our staff member Rachel Dunlap goes above and beyond in her leadership for this event. Thank you to some of our local businesses who donated money and items.
- Chief Academic Officer – Mr. Hardman shared a story about a graduating student.
- Chief Financial Officer – no update
- Director of Communications – Thank you to the various individuals who help with all of our communications efforts throughout the district. We reached over half a million people through social media this year, had more than 1 million website views, and had more than 430,000 newsletter views.
- Superintendent of Schools – We are thankful that our district attracts many quality applicants at this time of year. Our professional development and resources help draw talent to the district and we look forward to welcoming all of the new teachers and administrators who are joining our team in the next couple of months.
- Mr. Vassar provided a legislative report. There are 48 new education policies after this session. He called attention to the information about redevelopment commissions and TIF districts.
- Mr. Vassar would like to add a moment of silence to the Pledge of Allegiance at the board meeting.
- Mr. Vassar asked about the current Taft building’s name (a portion will be kept as the new Education Center). Mr. Angel said the board could revisit the existing policy.
- Mr. Vassar – Thank you to our parents for their involvement in our students’ educations.
- Ms. Bazin – Thank you to cabinet members for their presentations at the board retreat earlier this month. Another thank you to the teachers who were here this evening for the awards. Thank you to our teachers for all of the end-of-year events and experiences they are coordinating at this time of the year.
- Mr. Babjak – Thank you to our administrators who were involved in the hiring process. We recruited a lot of top talent in the personnel agenda this evening.
- Mr. Smith – Unified Game Day was a great event and very well done. Congratulations to our track team who recently won sectionals and to Seamus Malaski for setting a school record. Congrats to girls tennis who also won sectionals.
- Mr. Angel – Thank you to the business leaders who host our intern students each year and provide valuable work experience. Thank you to building leaders and staff as we work through the various construction projects. The board appreciates your flexibility and professionalism as the projects move forward.