Redistricting provides three opportunities.
- Balance enrollment at our elementary and middle schools to match changes in student population.
- Align elementary schools so that each building serves students K-5, has space for preschool, and has similar facilities.
- Optimize the use of district resources.
Combined, these three items create more equitable learning environments and experiences for our students. It ensures the district is functioning responsibly and with the future in mind.
As our community grows and changes, it is important that we meet the educational needs of every learner. Before this school year began, we announced that redistricting would accompany our many construction projects throughout the district. This is an important step forward for our school community as we look at serving our students for many years to come.
Remember that in redistricting, the overall district boundaries do not change. All Crown Point Community School Corporation students will remain our students, and we are not opening enrollment to students outside the district.
CPCSC will use a data-driven approach to redistricting. This begins with collecting and analyzing the current and projected enrollment for each school. A specialized software program will map the data to inform new boundary lines. It's important to know that although data is driving the process, the end goal is creating the best learning environment for every single student.
Keep in mind that our student population is not growing as quickly as some might assume. See our FAQs below for more information about the projections for the next decade.
Fall 2022: data collection
December 2022: data analysis
January/February 2023: mapping boundary scenarios based on data
Late February 2023: board votes on new boundaries, families are informed of changes
- What type of data has been collected to inform the new boundary lines?
- What does the data show regarding growth of our community and schools?
- Will boundaries change to allow enrollment for students who do not currently live in the district?
- Will Jerry Ross and Winfield Elementary change grade levels?
- How will this affect staffing? Will teachers change schools?
- How are new boundary lines determined?
- When was the last time CPCSC completed a redistricting?
- My child is an exceptional learner or receives other individualized services. How will this process affect him or her?
- If my family changes schools, will our new school contact us?
- If my child changes schools, what can I expect regarding curriculum and instruction?
- Will the start time for middle school be adjusted because the new Taft is farther away from the high school?
- I need to enroll a new student. How do I know which school to enroll at?