Some important information for our Col. John Wheeler Middle School parents/students:
Final grade reports can be viewed through RDS Parent Access on Monday, June 10th after 8:00 am.
2019-2020 Student Calendar
The start date for the 2019-2020 student calendar has been revised.
- The first student day will be Tuesday, August 20.
- The 1st semester will end on Friday, January 10.
- The last student day of the school year is scheduled for Friday, May 29.
Summer/Fall Athletic Dates
8th Grade Football
1st practice: Monday, August 12th from 9-11AM
New players need to be in by 8AM for equipment
Head Coach: Ken Florek– firstname.lastname@example.org
7th Grade Head Coach – Sue Kiefer – email@example.com
Try-outs: Wednesday, August 14th and Thursday, August 15th from 3-5:00PM
8th Grade Head Coach – Becky Decker – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Try-outs: Wednesday, August 14th and Thursday, August 15th from 7:30-9:00AM
Summer Run Club
August 1st – 9-10:15
August 6th - 9-10:15
August 8th - 9-10:15
August 13th – 9-10:15
August 15th - 9-10:15
1st Practice – August 20th from 3-4:15
Boys’ head Coach – Joe Betz – email@example.com
Girls’ Head Coach – Grace Santos – firstname.lastname@example.org
All Athletes must have an updated physical on file dated after 4/1/2019 to practice or try-out.
6th Grade Parent Night – Tuesday, August 13th
Our Sixth Grade Parent Night will take place on Tuesday, August 13th from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
6th Grade Bulldog Rush – Thursday, August 15th
Our Sixth Grade Bulldog Rush will take place on Thursday, August 15th from 9:00-12:00.
Parent Open House
Our Parent Open House will take place on Wednesday, August 21st at 6:00 p.m.
More information will follow closer to the start of the school year on these events.
2019/2020 PTA Board
We are very thankful for our PTA Board and for all the special things they did for our students/school during this past school year! Their efforts were very much appreciated by all. Our new PTA Board for the 2019/2020 school year is:
President – Melissa Laud
Vice President – Julie Shaw
Treasurer – Stephanie Owen
Secretary – Lisa Ortiz
We look forward to working with our new PTA Board!
Col. Wheeler M.S. Summer School
Summer School will occur from July 29th – August 9th Monday- Friday from 8:45 – 11:00. Letters will be sent to those who are already registered. Our Transportation Department will be contacting parents individually with pick-up and drop off times and locations. Please contact the school if you have any questions.
New Chromebooks 2019-2020
In August, 2019, new Chromebooks will be distributed to all Kindergarten through grade 9 students.
Beginning in the 2019-2020 school-year, only school-owned Chromebooks will be used during the school day.
BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) cannot be used during the school day.
For 2nd through 9th grade students, the annual fee for the non-touchscreen Chromebook will be approximately $55.00.
For Kindergarten and 1st grade students, the annual fee for the touchscreen Chromebook will be approximately $68.00.
The rationale for Chromebooks only and no BYOD during the school day is to:
- provide a safe digital environment where filtering protects students from internet access to content and visual displays that are obscene, pornographic or are harmful to minors;
- use GoGuardian so teachers can monitor student activity, as well as limit students to specific instructional websites for the day of learning;
- deliver the same user experience for learners allowing teachers to focus on the teaching and assessing for learning in the classroom;
- maintain and manage all devices including instructional apps and extensions to enhance the educational experience for students; and
- troubleshoot and repair Chromebooks and issues related to the learning management system (Buzz).
If you have questions, please email Jim Hardman, Director of Curriculum at email@example.com.
That concludes the announcements for the week. Parents of 8th graders, it has been my pleasure serving your children. I wish them well as they begin their high school careers. Parents of 6th and 7th graders, I look forward to beginning another school year in August. I hope you have an enjoyable summer!
Please visit our school website as well as our corporation website for further information.
Mark Gianfermi, Principal