Some important information and upcoming events for Col. John Wheeler Middle School:
Crown Point Schools Sign-up for Summer Enrichment Academy
From June 17-28, Summer Enrichment Academy courses are available for current Kindergarten through 7th grade student.
The courses are taught by Crown Point teachers.
The Enrichment Academy will be located at Solon Robinson Elementary School and Colonel John Wheeler Middle School.
10 day and 5 day courses are offered.
You can register for one 10-day course, two 5-day courses, or one 5-day course.
You cannot register for the same 5-day course twice.
Crown Point buses will transport students from Jerry Ross and MacArthur Elementary Schools to the Enrichment Academy.
Click on this link to view the Summer Enrichment Academy Offerings and Descriptions.
To register your child for a course, click the yellow link on the course offering page. You can also go directly to our website and look for the Crown Point Enrichment Programs link under Headlines. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.
Registration closes May 24 for the Summer Enrichment Academy.
The Col. Wheeler Band will be performing in the All-City Band Concert at Crown Point High School on Monday, May 20th at 6:00 PM.
- Our school choirs will be performing on May 21st and May 22nd.
- On Tuesday, May 21st at 6:30 pm, our 6th Grade Choir and 7th Grade Girls’ Choirs will perform at Col. Wheeler Middle School.
- On Wednesday, May 22 at 6:30 pm, our 7th/8th Grade Boys’ and our 8th Grade Girls’ Choirs will perform at Col. Wheeler Middle School.
- Both the front and back entrances will be open for your convenience.
The Col. Wheeler Orchestra will be performing in the All-City Orchestra Concert at Crown Point High School on Thursday, May 23rd at 6:00 PM.
Spell Bowl Callout
There will be a call out meeting for any 6th or 7th grade student interested in Spell Bowl on Monday, May 20th during Advisory. The meeting will be in Ms. Stoller’s room (B203). Please contact Ms. Stoller with questions or if you can’t make the meeting and are still interested in joining.
Cheerleading Callout Meeting
Any current 6th or 7th grader interested in trying out for the 2019-20 Cheer team, there will be a Cheerleading callout meeting tonight, Thursday, May 16th at 6PM. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Diamond (Adiamond@cps.k12.in.us) or Coach Whitehead (email@example.com). Tryouts will take place on June 10th, June 11th, and June 12th from 5-7PM. Athletes must have a physical on file to tryout.
7th Grade Football Game
The Col. Wheeler 7th grade football team will play our annual spring game vs Taft Middle School on Friday, May 24th at 6:00 PM on the Crown Point High School football field.
CJWMS Honor’s Night
The CJWMS Honor’s Night will be held on Wednesday May 29th, 2019 starting promptly at 6:00pm in our Main Gym. Invitations will be mailed for those students receiving awards. Both the front and back entrances will be open for your convenience.
2019-2020 Student Calendar
The start date for the 2019-2020 student calendar has been revised.
- The first student day will be Tuesday, August 20.
- The 1st semester will end on Friday, January 10
- The last student day of the school year is scheduled for Friday, May 29.
New Chromebooks 2019-2020
In August, 2019 new Chromebooks will be distributed to all Kindergarten through grade 9 students.
Beginning in the 2019-2020 school-year only school-owned Chromebooks will be used during the school day.
BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) cannot be used during the school day.
For 2nd through 9th grade students the annual fee for the non-touchscreen Chromebook will be approximately $55.00.
For Kindergarten and 1st grade students the annual fee for the touchscreen Chromebook will be approximately $68.00.
The rationale for Chromebooks only and no BYOD during the school day is to
- provide a safe digital environment where filtering protects students from internet access to content and visual displays that are obscene, pornographic or are harmful to minors;
- use GoGuardian so teachers can monitor student activity, as well as limit students to specific instructional websites for the day of learning;
- deliver the same user experience for learners allowing teachers to focus on the teaching and assessing for learning in the classroom;
- maintain and manage all devices including instructional apps and extensions to enhance the educational experience for students; and
- troubleshoot and repair Chromebooks and issues related to the learning management system (Buzz).
If you have questions, please email Jim Hardman, Director of Curriculum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CPHS Summer School
CPHS summer school registration is underway in RDS Parent Access at the View Course Requests link. Information about CPHS summer school can be found on the school’s website by clicking on this link. Summer school registration will close on Friday, May 24th. Please direct questions about summer school offerings to your son or daughter’s guidance counselor. Information about Middle School Summer Enrichment and remediation opportunities will be available soon.
CPCSC - Summer Camps
Sign-ups have begun for the many summer camps the school corporation is offering. There are many Sport camps that are coordinated and directed by the respective Varsity coaches and their staff members. Additionally, there will be a Metal Working and Manufacturing Camp and a Forensic Detectives Summer Camp offered as well. The Sport Camp flyer link is listed below. Flyers for the camps can be found in our Main Office as well.
Student Dress Code
As the weather turns warmer, please be alert as to what your child is wearing to school. Students’ dress and grooming must not disrupt the educational process, interfere with the maintenance of a positive teaching/learning climate nor compromise reasonable standards of health, safety, and decency. Thank you for assisting us in this area.
Website – Please visit our school website as well as our corporation website for further information.
Have a great evening!
Mark Gianfermi, Principal