Greetings from Crown Point High School! Here are some Monday reminders for you and your family.
Last week we received information that our Red status has been extended to Wednesday, January 6th. Though this is an adjustment to the plan, our message remains the same. Let’s continue to communicate if there is something we can do to help your student. Circumstances are different for everyone, so individual attention to student needs is where we have found the most success. For some students, staying connected to their teachers and classmates is a challenge from home. If your student is struggling with working from home, you are not alone. The important thing is to let us know so that we can connect them to the people who can assist. Teachers, counselors, administrators, graduation coaches, social workers, and support staff are all available to talk. The current situation is impacting people in different ways so there may be different solutions for each individual. CPHS is committed to listening to you so that we can best serve your student(s). We are now on a three week run to winter break and closing in on the end of semester one. We want to do all that we can to help students get their grades up, earn their credits, and finish the semester on a positive note. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we all work together to help the students of Crown Point High School.
Red Status Summary Through January 6th
- Student Schedule
- Students are on a similar schedule to how we operated in Yellow.
- On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday there will be learning opportunities for students in all classes. Wednesdays will continue as they have all semester.
- Students are encouraged to follow their daily schedules. During their scheduled class periods, teachers will be available to their students. Teachers may Zoom, live-stream, respond to emails, or take phone calls on their school extension. Teachers will communicate and provide direction to their students on the daily and weekly schedule for their classes.
- NOTE: We strongly encourage students to get into a routine of following their daily schedule. The availability of teachers during their class periods will help students stay engaged with their courses and get help if needed. It will also help students continue the routine they are currently on.
- The most important characteristic students can have during Red is engagement. Making sure they understand the expectations of the instructor and completing their assigned work will make their time in Red a success.
- Daily Schedule – Red
- This is the same schedule that we ran in Yellow once we moved the starting time back to 7:35. We are also currently running this schedule on Mondays and Tuesdays in Green. The schedule below is what our teachers and students will follow while in Red. Our students are familiar with this schedule and have been following it already while in school.
A lunch – 10:17-10:47
A class – 10:53-11:47
B class – 10:23-11:17
B lunch – 11:17-11:47
C class (1) – 11:23-11:47
C lunch – 11:47-12:17
C class (2) – 12:23-12:47
D class – 11:23-12:17
D lunch – 12:17-12:47
- Just like our distance learners have been doing each day and what all of our students were doing during Yellow on their at-home days, please remind students to do the following.
- Check Buzz accounts each day and throughout the day. Teachers will have daily Buzz agendas posted by 7:35 a.m.
- IMPORTANT: Communicate, communicate, communicate. Students and parents are encouraged to communicate with teachers if there are questions about assignments or if help is needed.
- Students and families may also communicate with the following staff members if they need assistance.
- Administrators, Counselors, Social Workers, Graduation Coaches (contacts listed below).
- Use Wednesdays in Red to connect with teachers during their office hours (departments/times listed below).
- CPHS Goals
- The goals of CPHS for the period up to January 6th are:
- Continue student learning as unhindered as possible.
- Deliver quality instruction.
- Keep students engaged.
- Help students maintain or improve current grades.
- Provide support to students and families in whatever way we can.
- Keep students in mind at all times.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- A Reminder to Reach Out
- Please send an email or call your student’s teacher, counselor, graduation coach, administrator, social worker, or any staff member if you run into an issue.
Department Office Hours – Wednesdays
- Please see the office hours by department for Wednesdays. Teachers in these departments will use the time to connect with and assist students. Teachers will communicate the method of connection to their classes.
- There may be some exceptions to this or additional hours added if there are conflicts.
- Exceptional learner teachers will be communicating with students on additional opportunities for help.
- We will communicate any changes or adjustments to the schedule.
Crown Point High School
Department Office Hours – Wednesdays
9:00 am - 10:00 am
(Science, Exceptional Learners, Art, Performing Arts)
10:00 am - 11:00 am
(World Language, Internship)
11:00 am - 12:00 pm
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
(Social Studies, Credit Recovery, Business)
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
(English, Family and Consumer Science, RTI Labs, PE, and Industrial Technology)
- Here is a list of administrative contacts for you to reference.
Associate Principal/Director of Guidance
Asst. Principal - Student alpha A-Ei
Asst. Principal - Student alpha El-K
Asst. Principal - Student alpha L-Ri
Asst. Principal - Student alpha Ro-Z
Graduation Coach Contacts
- Here is a list of our Graduation Coaches. Please contact the one associated with your student’s grade level if your student needs extra help in a class or is having a hard time working from home. These staff members work closely with our teachers to assist students.
9 and 10
School Counselor Contacts
- Our school counselors are available for questions and assistance. Counselors can help with students who are struggling academically or emotionally. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our counselors for assistance.
Student Last Name
Spi - Z
CPHS Social Worker Contacts
- CPHS has two social workers who are available to help students who need assistance. Please reach out to them if you feel they can help your student.
Student Last Name
CPHS Parent RDS/Buzz Presentation
- The CPHS Parent Buzz Slide Show that is available via the Parent channel on the CPHS website is designed to accompany an annual in-person presentation. To help you access this information more easily, we’re also providing this video version: CPHS Parent Buzz Video. We hope that this video helps you learn more about the connections between RDS and Buzz. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com with additional questions.
- To help you navigate the planning of your student’s post-secondary goals, please see the newly updated CPHS College and Career Guidebook on our Guidance Office website: https://www.cps.k12.in.us/Page/9838. Students and parents can find information related to college, military, apprenticeships, diploma types, Naviance, and more.
Colleges and Universities
- You can also go to www.collegesimply.com to explore different colleges and universities that your student is interested in. This site has information on admission, cost, majors, outcomes, diversity, salaries, location, comparisons, and reviews for post-secondary institutions throughout the country. For more information on the colleges and universities your student is interested in, please contact your student’s school counselor or Ms. Johanna Hess at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military Enlistment Information for Interested Students
- In a typical year, CPHS has regular military recruiter visits set up in the cafeteria throughout the school year. This year, due to COVID restrictions both for our school and for the recruiters, visits we’ve been able to host have been done virtually. If you are considering military enlistment and have not been able to attend one of the virtual visits, you can go to https://www.todaysmilitary.com/joining-eligibility/questions-ask-recruiter for more information regarding military enlistment and for links to get connected with a recruiter from any of the military branches.
Trades: Apprenticeships and Training Programs
- CPHS is a member of the Southlake Career Co-op with Hanover Central, Lowell, and Kankakee Valley. The cooperative works together to provide Career-Technical Education (CTE) programs for students.
- Attached to this email you will find a document with information on several apprenticeship and training programs available in the Lake County area. The document contains information and contacts for boilermakers, bricklayers, carpenters, electricians, insulators, ironworkers, laborers, millwrights, operating engineers, painters, pipefitters, plumbers, roofers, sheet metal workers, sprinkler fitters, and technical engineers (surveyors).
- If your student is interested in one or more of these career opportunities, please contact your student’s school counselor. For more information on CTE opportunities at Crown Point High School, you can contact Lynn Alkire (Associate Principal/Director of Guidance) at email@example.com or our Industrial Technology Department Chair, Mr. Scott Rettig, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seniors looking for scholarship opportunities can check their Naviance account for a list of local scholarships. Students can find the local scholarship list by:
- Logging into Naviance through RDS
- Clicking the College tab
- Scholarships and Money
- and then Scholarship List
- The list will change throughout the school year as new opportunities come in. Keep checking all year long for updates to the list. Additional scholarship opportunities and information can be found on our school’s website here: https://www.cps.k12.in.us/Page/9844, as well as the National Scholarship List in Naviance.
- Thank you to our senior parents for filling out the information for Herff Jones. In the past two weeks we’ve had over 500 senior parents and students provide cap and gown sizes. If your student’s information has not been entered, please remind your senior student to click the link and register. Just in case, we wanted to share the link with you as well. The link below will take you to a contact card, where your student will be asked to enter in their height and weight for cap and gown reservation.
- Note: When entering your telephone number, please use 1 and then ( ). For example: 1 (219) 999-9999.
- Note: When asked for Homeroom, the answer can be: None
- Once you submit this card, your cap and gown is reserved (not ordered). You will be redirected to the Herff Jones website for ordering and payment. If you are not ready, bookmark it and come back later. Herff Jones has a soft deadline of December 31st.
- Here are some additional resources for you to consider.
- Caps, gowns, and graduation announcements will be delivered in the spring.
- Place your orders online and Herff Jones will deliver these items to CPHS during a designated time or they will be shipped to your home.
- If you have any questions about caps, gowns, or graduation items, you can contact Doug Kingsley of Herff Jones at email@example.com or at (574)-583-3420.
- Seniors received an email requesting their activities for the yearbook. The deadline has been extended so that seniors can have this information in the yearbook. Please remind your seniors to reply so their CPHS-sponsored activities can be included.
- Please see below links to purchase yearbooks as well as senior ad information.
- If you have any questions regarding the yearbook, please contact Lisa Keene at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you ordered pictures from our picture retakes, those photos are now available to be picked up from the main office. As a reminder, if you previously ordered photos and have not picked them up, they are still available in the main office.
- If families are in need of textbook or fees assistance, please complete a free and reduced benefit application. This application covers textbook and fees assistance to approved families. The form and instructions are available on the Crown Point Community School Corporation website: https://www.cps.k12.in.us/
- Click on the Parent Tab and then on Download Forms. The application is listed under Corporation Forms – Free and Reduced.
- If parents have questions they can contact the Support Services Center at 219-662-6480. You can also contact your student’s CPHS school counselor.
Latch Key Child Care Applications
- Fee-based child care opportunities for children in grades K-5 while the corporation is in Red status. Applications are at the links below.
Chromebook Repair and Support
- If your student’s Chromebook needs repair please have it done by Crown Point Community School Corporation staff.
o If a student is attending classes in person, please see your School Librarian for Chromebook repair.
o If a student is an at-home learner and the Chromebook is broken or fails to work or your charger needs repair please fill out this form Chromebook Repair Form. Your School Media Specialist will contact you.
- For help with the RDS Log-in or the Buzz Button inside RDS complete the CPCSC Support Form.
- If you are having issues with one of your courses on Buzz, please contact the teacher by email.
Thank you for all that you do for our students and school. Have a great week and Go Bulldogs!
Russell J. Marcinek
Crown Point High School
Crown Point Community School Corporation