A great way to learn more about your school, get connected with parents and get involved is to join the PTO. Parent groups play an important role in building the kind of supportive school environment where teachers and students alike can do their best work.
You may come away with the names of good babysitters, the dish on the best field trips to attend and the names of good restaurants that you can actually take your kids to. Make new friends, get to know the teachers and staff, use your talents and help your school be the best it can be!
Why is the PTO important to the education of our children?
* The PTO provides more than $19,000 to teachers so they have classroom materials that promote a positive educational environment and positive life skills. Each teacher at Winfield elementary and Jerry Ross Elementary is provided with a budget of $300 by the PTO to offer student incentive programs, supplies and educational tools.
* Teacher aides, custodians, cafeteria staff and school nurses also receive funds from the PTO.
* The PTO. helps fund special projects such as the Jerry Ross Outdoor Learning Lab and the Winfield Picnic Shelter to enhance the learning environment for students.
* The PTO provides prizes and certificates for classroom “Students of the Month” to help boost student confidence and morale.
* The PTO proudly pays the registration fees for academic groups at Jerry Ross Elementary School: Spell Bowl, Math Bowl, Science Bowl, Math Facts, Geography Bowl, and National Elementary Honor Society.
* The PTO provides Family Fun Nights by hosting family friendly events that the families of our students can enjoy. The organization makes these events economical for families by subsidizing the programs.
* The PTO pays for guest authors to visit the school and meet with students.
* The PTO funds babysitting at all PTO meetings so that parents can be involved and stay informed about upcoming events. This service is free for all parents attending PTO meetings.
* Orange juice and pencils are provided to students by the PTO during ISTEP tests.
* Red Ribbon Week is funded and staffed by the PTO. The program educates students about the dangers of drug use and encourages them to stay drug-free.
* Magnetic school calendars are funded by the PTO for the convenience of parents.
* Kindergarten Round-Up is staffed and organized by the PTO.
* The PTO provides student directories to help make it easy for parents and students to stay in touch.
* The memorable 5th Grade Dance for students “graduating” from Jerry Ross is subsidized by the PTO.
* Multi-Cultural learning for all grades is funded by the PTO.
* Grandparents Day is organized, staffed and funded by the PTO. The organization provides invitations and refreshments for the event.
* Challenge Day/Field Day is funded by the PTO. Refreshments and prizes are provided by the organization.
* The Accelerated Reading Store is funded by the PTO. The organization provides funds for books and student incentives.
Without PTO fundraisers, the programs that enhance the education of our children would not be available! Whether you purchase food from Market Day, treat the kids to McDonalds at a McSchool Night or clip box tops from your trash, every penny contributes to PTO programs. Every student can make a difference – and every dollar made by the PTO will make a difference to your student!
The PTO enhances your child’s education experience!
For more information on volunteering for PTO activities, please contact