CROWN POINT COMMUNITY SCHOOL CORPORATION
SCHOOL BUS CONDUCT AND SAFETY POLICY
The Bus Conduct and Safety Rules are designed to promote safety on the school bus at all times. The safety of all students is our top priority. Therefore, each student is expected to cooperate fully by obeying the rules.
The authority of the bus driver, who is in charge of the bus, will be recognized and supported by all. Transportation privileges may be suspended for continuous misbehavior or lack of cooperation with the driver. For everyone’s safety, the bus driver must be able to hear traffic sounds such as sirens, and be obeyed by students quickly and efficiently.
School bus transportation is a privilege and is not guaranteed for you by law. Transportation is available, however, it can be taken away if students choose to disobey or violate any of the safety and conduct rules. If transportation privileges are denied, the parents or guardians are responsible for getting their children to and from school.
TO PROMOTE A SAFE, ORDERLY, EFFICIENT AND ENJOYABLE BUS RIDE TO AND FROM SCHOOL, THESE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED:
At the Bus Stop
- Be on time. Board and leave bus only at your regularly assigned stop, unless you have received special permission in advance.
- Stay out of the street and away from the road.
- Help protect surrounding property while waiting for the bus.
- Wait to enter until the bus comes to a full stop, and the door has been opened by the driver. Take your turn and do not push when entering or leaving the bus.
- Once off, clear the area immediately. If crossing the street, wait for a signal from the driver before crossing in front of the bus. Walk quickly across the street.
On the Bus
- Students shall be respectful of the bus driver. Insubordination of students toward the drivers will not be tolerated.
- Go immediately to assigned seat and remain in the seat for the entire bus trip.
- Remain seated and facing forward while the bus is in motion. Children who are not capable of remaining seated and facing forward may loose riding privileges.
- Keep aisle of bus clear of all items, feet, legs, book bags, instruments, etc.
- Throwing items on the bus will not be tolerated.
- Talk in a quiet reasonable tone of voice. Loud, boisterous, profane language or indecent conduct will not be tolerated.
- Students will not be allowed to tease, scuffle, trip, hold, hit or use their hands, feet or body in any objectionable manner.
- Windows are not to be lowered below the designated mark and only with the driver’s approval. Keep head, hands and feet inside the bus at all times.
- Smoking, lighters, matches, drug possession, fighting, weapons and/or damage to school property are not tolerated and prohibited. All hats should be worn with the front facing forward, turned hats will not be allowed.
- Food, drink, candy and gum are prohibited on the bus. Deposit trash in the containers at the front of the bus upon leaving.
- Treat bus seats and equipment with care and respect. If the seat is damaged by the student, the parent/guardian will pay for the repair of the seat.
- Cell phones are not allowed to be turned on while riding the bus. If they are used, they will be handed to the driver. The parent needs to come to the Transportation Department to pick it up. Radios, iPods, walkmans, headphones and hand held electronic games are only allowed on the bus with driver permission.
- Students will be released at their designated bus stop only, unless prior written and phone permission has been given by the Transportation Department to exit the bus at another location.
- Students must be completely quiet when bus stops at all railroad crossings.
- Skateboards, scooters, etc. are prohibited on buses.
- Musical instruments are allowed on the school bus but need to be held by the student during the bus trip. Instruments will not be permitted to be stored in the back of the bus or stored in the luggage compartment.
THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR PART FOR SAFETY’S SAKE